Friday, March 9, 2012

How can I obtain/get/purchase the rights to an obscure syndicated TV show?

There is a rare tv show I love that I know will never get an official DVD release unless I (or some other fan) get the rights and release it myself. I think I know who owns the rights, but I need advice on how this is normally done. Who exactly do you contact? What kind of proposal do you make? How much money would have to be involved? Do you put in a bid? I cannot find ANY information like this on the internet.How can I obtain/get/purchase the rights to an obscure syndicated TV show?
If you're sure you know who owns the rights, send them an introductory letter stating your intentions up front. Do not mention any costs or prices. Save that for later if/when you get a response. If you say you are a hard-core/rabid fan of the show, they might be willing to let it go for a smaller amount than a simple business deal.



Also, state your complete intentions. If you really want to distribute it, state that ("on a limited basis", etc.). But if all you want is a DVD of the show for your own personal collection, make it very very clear that this is your intention. You just might luck out and get someone who takes pity on you and does the transfer "off the books".



You may need to send the letter multiple times to the same office before someone takes notice.



Good Luck!
  • christian book
  • english to hebrew translation
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment